Whether the lines are wrinkles caused by aging or are scars, these furrows can be smoothed over and virtually erased by injecting the chosen filler into the targeted area using a fine needle. This is a popular procedure for both men and women who want to take years off the appearance of their face.
Dermal Filler Options at Clinic 360
Choosing the Right Injectable Fillers
Prior to your injectable filler procedure, you should visit Clinic 360 for a complimentary consultation. During this session, you can explain to your surgeon your expectations along with any allergies you may have, your medical history, any supplements or medications you are currently taking, and any previous cosmetic procedures you may have received. It is important to be thorough and honest in these disclosures as this can help prevent future risks of complications.
Best Candidates for Dermal Injection
- Crow’s feet
- Scarring (acne or trauma)
- Frown lines
- Marionette lines (lines that runs from the corners of the mouth to the chin)
- Forehead lines
- Cheek depressions or hollowness
- Smoker’s lines
Injectable Filler Treatments – How It’s Done
For bovine collagen replacement therapy, skin tests will have to be carried out prior to full treatment. This is because for 3% of the population, the body can react allergically to bovine collagen as it is derived from cows. Tests consist of a small amount of the substance being injected just below the skin of the forearm. Signs of allergic reaction include:
These reactions may take up to 4 weeks to appear and more than one test may be required to ensure safety. Human collagen injections do not carry this risk of allergic reaction.
Because hyaluronic acid naturally occurs in the body, it does not carry the same risk of allergic reaction as bovine collagen replacement therapy and, as such, does not require a prior skin test. In fact, hyaluronic acid injections are often recommended as an alternative to those patients allergic to bovine collagen.
- Fat is harvested using liposuction from a donor site on the body where it occurs in surplus such as the outer thighs or abdomen. This is done by first injecting a tumescent solution (local anaesthetic, epinephrine, saline) into the targeted harvesting area before making a small incision and suctioning the fat out through a stainless steel tube known as a cannula.
- The harvested fat is then purified (either by hand or mechanically) before being prepared for injection via a syringe.
- The area that the fat will be grafted to is sanitized before a small incision is made. Through this incision, a cannula is inserted and the purified harvested fat cells are carefully injected. This may be repeated multiple times until the desired results are achieved.
Unlike collagen and hyaluronic acid injections, it is not advised to massage the treated area following fat transfer as this can lead to fat cell migration and diminished or asymmetrical results. The body will re-absorb approximately 65% of the fat injected though new techniques are consistently reducing this number. If results are not in line with expectations, a repeat fat transfer may need to be performed though it should not be until at least 3 months following the first procedure.
Risks & Complications
As with any cosmetic procedure, there are certain risks inherent to fat injections. These risks include:
- Allergic reaction to anaesthetic
- Asymmetric results
- Undercorrection (desired outcome not achieved due to not enough being injected)
- Overcorrection (too much filler injected)
- Clumping (particularly in fat grafting)
- Allergic reaction to bovine collagen
- Nerve damage
- Tissue damage
- Scarring (particularly in fat grafting incision sites)
Injectable Fillers Recovery
In the case of fat transfer, immediately following treatment you should avoid heavy facial movement and massage. Also, it is recommended that you place ice packs on the treated area for 24 to 48 hours to reduce swelling. You should schedule a follow-up appointment with your surgeon at Clinic 360 in Toronto between 6 to 8 weeks after your fat grafting in order to assess initial results.
Cost & Financing
Treatments begin at $550 per session and increase from there. You may either pay via cash, debit, credit, or through a financing plan. Please consult a representative at Clinic 360 to hear more details about all your payment options.